In the early nineteenth century there was a commercial fresh water pearl fishery here. In the woods downstream of the bridge is a spot known as The Bride’s Coggie. A sad tale is told of how a bride drowned here in a carriage accident on her wedding day. A ‘coggie’ is a small tub or bowl and probably refers to one of the many stone lined retting ponds used to rot the outer husk off flax plants after harvesting. Because of the appalling stench, they were generally built away from houses.
Close by is the romantically named Nine Maiden's Well, purportedly called after the nine daughters of St. Donwald, who had a hermitage in Glen Ogil. Others think the name may be derived from the Nine Muses of the Romans.
Caddam lies on the east side of the glen, opposite Clova Hotel. This is where Margaret Adamson was burned for witchcraft in 1662 on Witch’s Hillock. The same year, a new inn was built, and, in keeping with superstition, Rowan branches were hung over the door and a dog put in through a window for good luck before anyone entered.
There is not much of Clova castle left, just the stump of a tower on a low hill. The castle was probably destroyed by raiding Catterans in the 1590s.