There are two schools associated with Glenesk, one at the head of the Glen at Tarfside, and the other at the foot of the Glen in the village of Edzell
Tarfside School is in Glenesk, one of the loveliest Angus Glens, and plays a vital part in the remote rural community.
At present there are 16 pupils in primary classes. The staff is dedicated and caring, and help to provide a happy, safe environment in which children can learn and play.
The school likes to involve parents and members of the Glen community in school activities whenever possible, and their help and support is greatly appreciated by pupils and staff.
Tarfside Nursery was originally founded in 1997 as a pre-school group, and run by a very committed group of parents in partnership with Angus Council funding. All of the equipment was bought by fund-raising and by generous donations from local groups and landlords. In August 2001 the Tarfside Nursery became part of the Angus Council’s Local Authority Nursery’s.
The Nursery is open five mornings a week, and has a very close relationship with the Primary classes, taking part in Assemblies, Events, Concerts and Sports Day.
Tarfside School has its own website at www.tarfside.angus.sch.uk which is well worth a visit to read their Newsletters, Dates for the Diary and general information on lessons and projects.
Moving Image Education is a four-year pilot project that commenced within the Brechin High School cluster of six primaries and the high school itself in August 2004.
The principal aim of the project is to develop literacy teaching using Moving Image Education teaching practices.
Primary 5 & 6 pupils of both Tarfside and Edzell primary schools have been involved for the past two years, and have produced hugely enjoyable short films that are a credit to the imaginations and enthusiasm of such youthful film makers.
There have been a number of schools in the Glen at various times and in different places. The most recent one was at Waterside, near Colmeallie, which closed in 1964, and the pupils moved to Edzell. There was a school at Invermark and an Episcopal School at St. Drostans. A school at Bentyfauld, near Greenburn was closed when school inspectors saw the state of the building, although the teaching was satisfactory. This school was replaced by Waterside School
Before education became compulsory, there were parochial schools, and schools set up by the Church. One of these was set up by Rev. David Inglis before 1820, and he taught Latin and Greek as well as the "three 'r's", History, Geography and religious instruction. Pupils went to school when they were not needed to work at home and sometimes stayed at school until they were adults.
In 1723 when Lochlee became a separate parish, the money given to the Reader, in lieu of a minister, was transferred to the parochial schoolmaster, since he had no other salary apart from what he charged his pupils. The Honourable Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge appointed a schoolmaster around 1760 to teach "in corners of the parish most distant from the parish school." This school was later housed in a room in the Masonic Lodge at Tarfside.
Most of the Glen youngsters go to college or university, but this is not new. Young people used to go when they were proficient enough in Greek and Latin. Robert Inglis, son of David Inglis, went to Aberdeen University at the age of 15 years. The Statistical Account of Angus for 1833 states "there are no persons in the parish (Lochlee) above the age of six who cannot read, and very few who cannot write.