Homepage
Business Directory
Glen Isla
Glen Prosen
Glen Clova
Memus and Cortachy
Menmuir
Glen Lethnot
Glen Esk
Welcome to the Angus GlensDiscover the Angus Glens
Healthcare | Links | Map of Angus | Items for Sale | Things to Do | What's On | Where to Stay | Contact Us
Churches

Isla Parishes Churches

The Isla Parishes Church Services and church information

The Isla Parishes comprise six parishes along the River Isla – Glenisla, Kilry and Lintrathen to the north, and Airlie, Ruthven and Kingoldrum to the south.

The Minister to The Isla Parishes is Rev Ian Murray, Balduff House, Kilry.  Telephone No 01575 560268.

All Sunday morning services are held in Kilry Church at 10.30 a.m. followed by refreshments and a time of fellowship.


 

 Family Service on the second Sunday of each month.

 Sunday School on fourth Sunday of each month.

 The Isla Parishes

 Kilry Church  -  Christmas Day Service,  25th December 2011 at 10.30 a.m. 

 

Airlie Church

Evening Services are held in Airlie Church at 6.30 p.m. on the second Sunday of each month from March to November.

On Sunday, 13th November at 6.30 p.m. there will be a Communion Service on the theme of Remembrance.  This service will be conducted by Rev Ian Murray.

Refreshments are served at the close of each service.

A warm welcome is extended to everyone.

Christmas Service  -   There will be a Watchnight Service on Saturday, 24th December, 2011, at 11.30 p.m.
This service will be elder led.   From 10.30 p.m. there will be Mulled Wine,  Mince Pies and Shortbread.  A warm welcome is extended to everyone.
 


Glenisla Church

Evening Services are held in Glenisla Church at 6.30 p.m. on fourth Sunday of each month from March to December. 

The next service is on 23rd October and this will be a Harvest Thanksgiving and Communion Service conducted by our minister, Rev Ian Murray

Blair Belles (Handbell Ringers) will make a welcome return to Glenisla Church on Sunday, 27th November at 6.30 p.m. Everyone welcome.
At 3.00 p.m.  on Sunday, 4th December, Alyth Choral Union Christmas Concert will take place.
Christmas Service  -  There will be a Watchnight Service on Saturday, 24th December, 2011, at 11.30 p.m.
This service will be elder led.  A warm welcome is extended to everyone.

Kirkton of Airlie Parish Church

picture of kirkton of airlie

 

Stands on a site where the Gospel has been preached for over 780 years and is dedicated to St Meddan, a Bishop, who was a follower of St Drostan along with St Fergus and St Colm around 520 A.D. The present simple building was completed in 1783.  The interior was renovated in 1893 using pitch pine and an addition added to accommodate a pipe organ and choir. The church was further renovated in 2001 to provide a disabled toilet, a small kitchen and meeting rooms. 
Pre Reformation relics; the oldest gravestone is dated 1609.
List A Building.


Glenisla Parish Church

Glen Isla Church

 

The church is mentioned in the history of Banff Estate written by George Halliburton in 1627.  The present church was built in 1821 replacing an older building described in 1793 as being “very old”.  Lovely rural setting.  Small oblong Gothic building with belfry and session house.
List B Building.


Kingoldrum Parish Church

picture of kingoldrum church

 

There has been a church in Kingoldrum since earliest times.  Various ancient relics have been found which were presented to the Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh.  A carved stone coffin lid found in the churchyard dates to 12th or 13th Century. The present church is a small oblong Gothic church with a pinnacled belfry and projected porches built 1840.  Pews and panelling were the gift of Mrs Betty Sherriff, in memory of her husband Major George Sherriff of Ascreavie House and the Pulpit Fall and Brocade Communion Table Cover in memory of her parents, Dr and Mrs Graham of Kalimpong, India, who founded the Dr Graham Homes for children.

At a service on 6th December 2009 the Sacrament of Communion was followed by the Formal Act of Closure
when Rev Malcolm Rooney moved through the church recalling the generations for whom the font and communion table had been significant in their faith journeys.


List C Building.


Kilry Parish Church

picture of Kilry Church


Built in 1877 and stands in a valley at the entrance of Glenisla.  Prior to 1877 the folk of Kilry worshipped in Glenisla Church
List C Building.


Lintrathen Parish Church

picture of Lintrathen Church


Lintrathen Church, like Airlie Church, is dedicated to St Meddan.  It is thought the first church was established around 1100 A.D. and was founded by the Priory of Inchmahome.  It has a beautiful wooded setting near Lintrathen Loch.  Small oblong Gothic church of 1802, was remodelled and extended to T- plan in 1858.  A small piece of sculptured stone with an interlaced Celtic design has been built into the stonework beside the vestry door.  It is thought to be part of a cross, perhaps dedicated to St Meddan.  The oldest stone in the graveyard is dated 1610.

At a service on 25th March 2010 the Sacrament of Communion was followed by the Formal Act of Closure
when Rev Malcolm Rooney moved through the church recalling the generations for whom the font and communion table had been significant in their faith journeys.


List B Building.


Ruthven Parish Church

picture of ruthven church


Ruthven Parish was first noted in 1180.  The present red sandstone Church was built in 1859 overlooking the River Isla.  The two ancient crosses in the west wall, a ship’s bell marked “ The Enterprise WW 1735 “ and the Royal Warrant appointing John G McPherson Minister in 1874 are of interest.  The oldest gravestone is early 17th Century.

At a service on 27th June 2010 the Sacrament of Communion was followed by the Formal Act of Closure
when Rev Malcolm Rooney moved through the church recalling the generations for whom the font and communion table had been significant in their faith journeys.


List C Building.

Website designed and produced by www.get-oomph.com